All trails in Jackson County are now open. Please continue to check back for updates as the section of trail that runs between Black River Falls and Millston will have ongoing closures throughout the 2015 riding season. These closures are due to the pipeline being installed along our ATV trail.
UTV’s are now a permanent fixture to our trail system. Rear License plates are now required for all ATV’s and UTV’s as of July 1, 2012. Please visit www.watva.org for more information.
For more information please call the office at 715-284-8475.
The ATV trail system is open from May 14 to October 15 and December 15 to March 15. It may shut down at any time due to conditions.
Jackson County has some of the most popular ATV trails in the Midwest. Over 100 miles of trails wind through the scenic Black River State Forest and Jackson County Forest. All trails are clearly marked. No "off-trail" riding is permitted in Jackson County.
Jackson County UTV Pilot Program
Jackson County in cooperation with the Black River State Forest will open all ATV trails to UTV (Utility Vehicles) beginning May 14, 2011. UTV's will be allowed to operate from May 14th through October 15th. UTV's must be registered for public use before using the public trail.
For a complete list of the program rules and regulations, please click the following link:
Wisconsin DNR UTV Pilot Program
Parking lots for trail access are located at the following areas
- Highway 12, West of Millston.
- Junction of County O and North Settlement Road, East of Millston.
- Highway 54, East of Black River Falls,WI.
- West Clay School Road, near East Arbutus.
- Ott Trail Parking Lot, Airport Road, East of Black River Falls,WI
- Crawford Hills and East Arbutus Campground.
ATV Registration Information
Wisconsin Law requires that all non-resident (out of state) ATV's purchase a non-resident trail pass. These passes are available at any location that advertises the sale of hunting/fishing licenses.Wisconsin registration information may be obtained by contacting Castle Mound State Park at (715) 284-4103 Memorial Day through Labor Day (7 days/week), or the Black River Service Center at (715) 284-1400.(Tuesday -Friday 8:15AM to 1:00PM and from 2:00PM to 4:00PM) Be sure to have a bill of sale or previous registration card with you. Both of these stations are authorized for immediate validation of registration.
All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) Registration Application Form 9400-376 (PDF 216KB)
Jackson County ATV Map (Adobe PDF 1.42Mb)
- All motorcycles using the trail system must have a Jackson County sticker and be licensed.
- Over 8 miles of single track motorcycle trails. (Off road motorcycles can only operate on the single track trails.)
- All ATV trails are marked with orange posts and blazes.
- All ATVs must have a state registration sticker, not a Jackson County motorcycle sticker.
- Warning: Motorcycles and ATVs are prohibited in areas posted with the symbol x. Violations will result in the issuance of citations.
- When operating near a dwelling or residential area, or passing a pedestrian or horseback rider, the speed limit shall not exceed 10 MPH
- Accidents: Report to Jackson County Sheriff's Office @ (715) 284-5357